Friday, June 5, 2009

Federer enters 20th consecutive slam semis


The second-seeded Roger Federer has reached the semifinal for the 20th consecutive Grand Slam tournament after beating France's 11th-seeded Gael Monfils. The Swiss tennis star claimed a 7-6 (8/6), 6-2, 6-4 victory against his French opponent at Roland Garros on Wednesday. "I was very nervous before this match, yesterday and today. But I have a lot of experience. I know that when I step on the court, I will play well. Or very well," Federer said. "I felt some pressure before this match," he added. "I was very nervous, because I thought it would be very difficult." "Maybe I took too many risks at the beginning, but I was worried about his forehand," he further explained. The 27-year-old Federer will now meet Argentine fifth seed Juan Martin Del Potro, who'll be playing his first, for a place in the French Open final. Del Potro managed to ease past Spanish 16th seed Tommy Robredo 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 in his quarterfinal match. Federer holds 13 Grand Slam singles titles, and the French Open is the only major championship he hasn't won. The Swiss national now stands just two matches away from equaling Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam titles.

0 comments:

Recent Posts

Powered By Blogger

Flag Counter

free counters

Visitors Details

  © Press Template The Professional Template by Somy Iori 2009

Back to TOP