Saturday, April 4, 2009

Shearer takes charge of Newcastle United


Alan Shearer has been put in charge of Newcastle United for the rest of the English Premier League season to save the club from relegation. 

The 38-year-old Shearer took charge of his first training session at his home town club on Thursday. 

"I am here for eight games, and eight games only." Shearer said at his first news conference at St James' Park on Thursday. 

"It's a club I love and I, just like many thousands of people, desperately don't want the club to go down and I will do everything I can to try to prevent that," Newcastle's record goal scorer added. 

"I believe I can help it along with the players. There is a nucleus here that can get this club out of trouble. They are very good players lacking confidence and it's up to me and the staff to get the best out of them." 

Shearer has been appointed Newcastle United's interim manager while Joe Kinnear recovers from heart surgery. He will be assisted by former Northern Ireland striker Iain Dowie. 

Shearer scored 206 goals in 395 matches he played for Newcastle United. 

Newcastle is currently 18th in the country's Premier League and in danger of going down for the first time since 1989.

0 comments:

Recent Posts

Powered By Blogger

Flag Counter

free counters

Visitors Details

  © Press Template The Professional Template by Somy Iori 2009

Back to TOP